Also located in the castle area is the Mathias [Mátyás] Church. The current building is in the Neo-Gothic style; originally built in the second half of the 14th century, it was extensively reconstructed in the late 19th century.
In close proximity to the church is the so-called Fisherman’s Bastion. A terrace in the neo-Gothic and neo-Romanesque style, it was built between 1895 and 1902. It contains 7 towers and a statue of St. Stephen [István], the first King of Hungarians, erected in 1906. The Bastion was almost destroyed in WWII and was rebuilt 1947-48. The 7 towers represent the 7 Magyar tribes that settled around 896; the conical forms are an allusion to the tribal tents of the early Magyars.
Finally, there are numerous wonderful views of the Danube and Pest from different vantage points, including from the interior of the Halászbástya restaurant where the group had lunch [see last image].