Catania was founded in 729 BC by Greek colonists. Having survived earthquakes and eruptions over the centuries, Catania was razed to the ground in 1693. Rebuilt during the 18th century, the city is comprised of broad, straight streets and large unevenly shaped squares, a precaution against earthquakes. One of the highlights for us was the Mercato della Pescheria [fish market], which occupies many street and small squares. It is open mornings on a daily basis. One entrance into the market contains a fountain, Fontana dell’Amenano, which is fed by water from the underground Amenano River. Sculpted in 1867, the fountain is a focal point for meeting.
Also located near the fish market entrance is another fountain, Fontana dell’Elefante (this needs no translation). Sculpted in 1736, it consists of an elephant made of lava standing on a pedestal. On its back is an Egyptian obelisk with a globe on top (not visible in these images). The fountain has become Catania’s symbol.