Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy the images I have posted. Please do not reproduce them without my permission. Most are available as note/greeting cards or as prints/enlargements. Thank you for visiting my site and your comments.
Many have asked about the Header image above, which I named 'Eerie Genny'. It was originally shot with film [taken on the shore of the Genesee River near the Univ. of Rochester]. During the darkroom development, I flashed a light above the tray. The process, known as 'solarization', produces eerie, ghostlike effects; some have mistaken this image as an infra-red photo. Some 35+ years later, I scanned and digitized the print, and did a little modern day editing, and, voila.
« I confirm the subscription of this blog to the Paperblog service under the username shattman ».

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Morocco Odyssey 18: The Sahara Desert (i)

In preparation for our trip into the Sahara Desert, we left Erfoud in the early morning via four rugged 4x4 vehicles. We made several stops along the way,  the first was a fossil extraction factory. Once completely under water, this section of the Sahara contained quarries replete with fossils embedded in huge slabs of stone. The slabs were sliced, polished, and cut further in all manner of shapes and sizes. All this required huge machines and skilled craftsmen. In the bottom image, you can see scores of those triangular fossils.
 After making purchases in the extensive factory shop, we drove on and visited with a local family [below].  
 Then, it was out into the desert, as we drove past nomad tents, fort-like walls [I imagined seeing foreign legionnaires standing watch on the ramparts], and through endless sand dunes. I thought our driver, Abdell [below], was playing games with us; but it turned out that, rather than for our amusement, his zig-zagging through the dunes was to avoid getting stuck in the sand.
After much bouncing around, our OAT camp site in Merzouga seemed to appear out of nowhere.
 Completed only several weeks earlier, the sleeping tents contained a shower, a toilet, and a colorful bed [below]. While comfortable during daylight hours, the temperature in the tent dropped to freezing at night. I ended up having to sleep with a woolen hat, gloves, and a sweatshirt on top of my pajamas, and barely managed to remain warm.
 Following dinner that first night, we drove further into the desert in the hope of making contact with passing nomads. Their tents are often left standing for others passing through. Good fortune was with us as we came upon a family. Our tour guide, Madani, translated the lively discussion.
                   It is a difficult and harsh life they must lead, and our hearts went out to them.
Post a Comment